Georgeson Torney Industry Leader’s Award
This award is named in honour of Michael Georgeson (UTS Union – 1977/2004) and Michael Torney (La Trobe University) in recognition of outstanding service to the Australian Student Service Profession.
This award is presented annually and seeks to identify and recognise leaders who are; working collaboratively within internal and external avenues within our sector, shaping the future of student services in a positive direction, championing change and innovation, and turning ideas into action. Economic, social, and environmental leadership also feature appropriately in all of their core activities.
This stand-out member of our sector (including CEOs, MDs or equivalent) has contributed significantly to improving campus services for the members of their respective organisation with strong evidence of success. They have also brought inspiring leadership, dedication, and commitment to the Student Experience Network group as a whole via strong participation and support of SEN member activities over the past 12 months.
The submission needs to be nominated by a colleague or peer within or outside the sector. Individuals from any tertiary education institution that are a member of SEN are eligible for nomination.
Nominators must provide details of their relationship to the nominee plus a 1000-word brief addressing key questions relating to how the nominee shows leadership, dedication, commitment and support to their organisation, the sector and the SEN member group.
Previous Nominees not awarded can re-enter in consecutive years.
Award Submission Criteria
- Name of organisation
- Name and contact details of the person completing the nomination
- Nominator’s relationship to the nominee
- Name and contact of anyone else who supports this nomination and could provide additional information
- Name of mominee
- Nominee’s current position
- Nominee’s most recent place of employment
- Nominee’s length of employment within the sector
Please tell us in 1000 words or less why you believe the nominee should be awarded the Georgeson Torney Award by providing evidence of success in relation to any of the criteria listed below:
- working collaboratively via internal and external avenues within the tertiary sector
- contributing significantly to improving campus services for their organisation
- shaping the future of student services in a positive direction
- championing positive change and innovation and turning ideas into action particularly during the challenges of the past few years
- championing economic, social, and environmental leadership within their scope of influence
- inspiring leadership, dedication, and commitment to staff and peers
- providing leadership, dedication, and commitment to the SEN group as a whole via strong participation and support of SEN member activities over the past 12 months (where possible).
This section may be used to support your nomination by providing evidence of the nominee’s achievements, it is not a substitute or an additional opportunity for answering the criteria in your submission.
Relevant examples will include documentation that adds value and validation to your nomination and may include:
- A photo of the nominee* (required)
- Testimonials of the nominee’s positive influence in the workplace from peers, colleagues, students, faculty, etc
- Images of the nominee participating in activities relevant to the success of their role
- Examples and evidence of programs or initiatives created and or supported by the nominee, etc
- Evidence of organisational improvements and positive sector contributions attributable to the nominee
- Examples of other awards the nominee has received