Joe Curtis Professional Development Scholarship (revised)
Joe Curtis served at Monash University for almost 20 years, rising from Catering Manager to become CEO of Monash Unicomm. During this time, Joe held a diverse range of roles and responsibilities that in a variety of ways improved the university’s operations and public image.
Joe was well respected by his peers and colleagues across many campus service organisations. His personal warmth and down to earth management style made him stand out from the crowd.
Joe’s ongoing commitment to staff development was honoured on his passing with the awarding of an annual $5K grant, known as the Joe Curtis Travel Scholarship for professional development. Due to travel restrictions over the past few years, the award has been renamed the Joe Curtis Professional Development Scholarship.
- This is a nominated award. Nominations may be self-nominated or nominated by another person.
- Nominations must be endorsed by the nominee’s CEO or equivalent.
- CEOs or equivalent are not eligible for this award.
- Previous successful applicants are also excluded from applying for this award a second time.
- The awardee must engage in sector-related professional development via programs, conferences or Australian intervarsity tours.
- Preference will be given to someone who has not previously attended or engaged in such events.
- Non-attendance of the proposed professional development will require a refund of the award money.
- Nominations will be reviewed, and the winner appointed by the SEN board.
Typically this scholarship has been granted to fund travel to overseas tertiary sector conferences and campus tours however, while international travel remains restricted, consider how this scholarship may be used to support other forms of professional growth and development.
Award Submission Criteria
- Name of organisation
- Name and contact – details of the person completing the nomination
- Nominator’s relationship to the nominee
- Name and contact of endorser (CEO or equivalent)
- Name of nominee
- Nominee’s current position
- Nominee’s organisation of employment
- Nominee’s length of employment within the sector
- Photo of the nominee (required)
Please tell us in 1500 words or less why you believe the nominee should be awarded the Joe Curtis Professional Development Scholarship.
We encourage you to include supporting documentation with your nomination. Supporting documentation can include biographies, photos of nominee, conference / workshop information / flyers / websites etc. By providing these documents the judging panel will have a better understanding of why the person you are nominating should be selected. All included documentation will be retained by SEN.
Please provide the following details relating to the proposed conference, workshop, training or intervarsity tour, etc (including location):
- Itinerary – typically this grant has been to fund travel to overseas tertiary sector conferences, programs and campus tours however while international travel remains restricted please consider how this grant may be used for Australian tours or other professional growth and development. Include all the sites the applicant proposes to visit during proposed travel or professional development.
- Peer benefit – how will the information gained be of benefit to other student organisations?
- Projected expenses – include all details including, but not limited to registration of proposed events or programs, travel costs and accommodation costs where relevant, other funding sources, any other related expenses (excluding any personal expenses which may be payable by the applicant). Include how the $5k grant will be applied to the professional development proposed.
Note that recipients must demonstrate a commitment to the ideals of the shared Student Experience Network community and commit to presenting at the next SEN Conference. Failure to present at the conference will also require a refund of the award money (unless related to imposed travel restrictions at the time).
Note that non-attendance of the proposed professional development will require a refund of the scholarship money.
This section may be used to support your nomination by providing evidence of the benefits of the scholarship to the nominee, it is not a substitute or an additional opportunity for answering the criteria in your submission.
Relevant examples will include documentation that adds value and validation to your nomination and may include:
- A photo of the nominee* (required)
- Examples and evidence of the program, conference, or tour the nominee proposes to attend
- Relevant documentation that will add value and validation to nomination
- Proposed expenses